Wednesday, February 18, 2015

DIY Sacraments

In this contemporary era of tradtions stretched to the limit, where the Church actually allows people who have not even been baptised in the Catholic Church to dispense Holy Communion, what is wrong with the act of making ashes on Ash Wednesday for oneself, if one absolutely cannot go to Mass?

I usually go to Mass with my neighbours but they work and if there is a Holy Day on a weekday, there is little hope that I will be able to attend Mass.  So it was today.   I was a little depressed by it all until I began to think about the whole recipe for the sacred ashes.  They are made from the blessed Palms from last year's Palm Sunday and Holy Water and Oil.  Two out of the three I have.  I have Palms from Palm Sunday and a bottle of Holy Water from the Epiphany. I have olive oil and a beautiful polished dish made from an Olive Tree.  What is so wrong with the act of making ashes for oneself on Ash Wednesday in these circumstances?  Is it not better than being excluded from the tradition?


'Memento, Homo, quia pulvis es et in pulverem reverteris.' 
Remember, Man, thou art dust and to dust thou shalt return.'


I therefore made my own Ashes, although it was more difficult than I expected.  Palm Fronds, even when very dry, even when soaked in olive oil, do not burn well.  I finally bowed to reality and found my charcoal (for incense) and lit that.  Recited the prayers and made the sign of the Cross...  why not?