Friday, August 21, 2015

Death, Rust and Somewhere 'Safe'

One of the great delights that is left to me is the discovery of something valued that had been 'lost' and now is regained.  Unfortunately, I experience far too many of these reunions, mainly because of an unfortunate practice of concealing the objects I value most in very unlikely places.  My daughter grew to dread the announcement that, when she asked for the location of something she needed, she would be told that: 'I put it somewhere safe.'  Inevitably, that would mean that an extended exhausting and osmetimes fruitless search had to be made.

People who have lived in the same place all their lives and who have a proper safe probably would not comprehend the entire philosophy.  I lived all over the world, in rented rooms, in flats in big cities with high crime statistics, and sometimes with flatmates who could not be trusted, whether or not I had romantic relationsihips with them or not.   Thus, the whole concept of finding 'somewhere safe' for the things I did not wish to have stolen for me.  Regrettably, the result sometimes has been the same when I have failed to FIND something I loved and treasured. 

In any case, I found this knife yesterday.  I had been looking for it for a very long time.  It had not been put 'somewhere safe' actually but had been in a handbag of mine for years.  When I switched to a different handbag, the knife somehow was left behind in the discarded one.

It was a gift from a client and friend from the years when I lived in New York.  I always felt that there was something very special about a guy who could give a sharp, edged weapon to a woman as a gift.  I now realise that this is no measure of a man's worth or integrity at all or even his ability to be a good friend or lover, but nonetheless, I still would melt inside I expect if some one tendered another dagger to me.

This particular one is not really my favoured style, although it is made of Damascus steel.  I was not that fond of folders, and my knife of preference was double-edged.  This one, though, was very practical through the years and I loved the fact that it had a straight razor as well as a regular blade.  It was a very good little knife that served me well...  sad to have lost it and very pleased to have found it.

Sad to say, I do not have the box in which it came at this point.   It was a collector's piece originally, during the period when knife collecting had become fashionable and every one and his mate was making Limited Editions.  I think this one was made by Browning.  Originally, I did not care much for the bolsters but like an old friend, I grew to love everything about the little knife in time.  It really was a perfect fit for my hand and my handbag and I had occasion to use both blades.   Once in a blue moon, I spare a thought for the giver...

There still are a number of 'lost' treasures knocking about somewhere at the old house.  I hope to God I can find them... it's kind of a race with Time at this point.

This poor knife was lost long enough to develop some rust spots.  I ruthlessly excised them this morning.  I decided it would be better to have a slightly imperfect knife than one with rust consuming it.  I hope I have destroyed the Destroyer in time.  There is a tiny nick now in the edge of the blade where i had to sand off a lot of rust.