Friday, January 8, 2016

Adobe Flash and Tablets, Refusing to Accept Defeat

Evidently, Adobe no longer creates Flash Player for Android or other tablets even though it did in the past.  When my inexpensive laptop/tablet no longer would power on, no matter what I did, a friend gave me a cheap RCA tablet so I still could play Family Farm.  Imagine my horror when I discovered that not only did the RCA Viking not come with any version of Flash Player but when I went to the Adobe site, I was told that it was not compatible with the device.

I decided to do a little research at this point and that was when I discovered that Adobe basically has pulled the plug on Android devices for its Flash Player.  And yet countless Facebook games require Flash Player...

More research and I discovered one can go to the Archives for Adobe Flash Player to install it manually on a tablet.  Here are the instructions:

  1. Make sure your Android device is connected to the Internet.
  2. Open the Settings menu.
  3. Select Security (or Applications, on older Android OSs).
  4. Place a checkmark next to the "Unknown sources" check box.
  5. Tap OK to confirm your selection.
  6. Close Settings.
  7. Launch the browser.
  8. Search for 'flash player archive page' or navigate directly to http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html
  9. On the Archive page, scroll down to "Flash Player for Android archives"
  10. Select a version of Flash Player that is compatible with your Android operating system.
  11. Tap the link to download the Flash Player installer. Download begins automatically.
  12. When download completes, close the browser.
  13. Open Notifications.
  14. Tap 'install_flash_player.apk'
  15. When prompted, tap Install.
  16. When installation is finished, tap Done.
Lo and behold, I now am able to open Family Farm and it actually LOADS... now, whether or not I wish to play the game any longer is another matter.

Later:  It loads, but it crashes within a couple of minutes, without allowing me to perform any significant actions.  The same holds true for anything else that requires Flash... so I found a solution but it is outdated. You are not really supposed to be able to use older models of ANYTHING now.  

Now for another rather spooky tale of technology run amok.

Last night, when I was half asleep, I suddenly heard a woman's voice.  It was a voice with a mid-Atlantic accent and the woman appeared to be sharing my bed with me.  She said something like: 'Netflix updated.  75 Notifications.'  I had not requested this information and indeed would have preferred silence as I was trying to sleep.  Nonetheless, she kept babbling at me.  It was extremely unsettling.  I finally discovered that the voice was emanating from my Nook.  The screen was locked and I never had empowered Voice but there she was, quite omnipotent to the point of not even allowing me to unlock the screen.  When I tried to swipe the icon to unlock it, nothing happened.  She kept talking, even describing the fact, rather nastily, that I was unable to swipe the screen to unlock it.  

I powered off and on again but no change.  She kept talking and I was unable to swipe to unlock.  This went on and on for some time.  I thumped the screen a couple of times but no change.  Finally, I swiped it REALLY hard and very slowly.  I had to do this a few times but it did unlock in the end.  The first action on my part was to disable Voice again.  i then realised I never had changed the time from the Central U.S. time set by the previous owner years ago!