Friday, December 20, 2013

DIY (not DUI) for Christmas

Although I am not really a fan of primitive hand-crafted items, I do love hand-crafted items when they are elegant, pretty or beautifully made.  Europe is the centre for hand-crafted Christmas Ornaments.  There are villages that are famed far and wide for their Christmas Markets where one can shop for Ornaments and Decorations throughout the year. 

My Mum and her best friend used to make an annual shopping pilgrimage of sorts to Germany and Eastern Europe to visit all the Christmas Markets.  She kept most of them for herself but I do have a handful of lovely little Tree decorations from these expeditions.  When I was in Munich, I bought a painted metal ornament and always wish I had been able to buy more.  (I suppose I am more like my mother than I would like in some respects.  I certainly have inherited her love of luxury items.   She criticises me constantly for my 'collections', pretending that hers are 'accidental' while mine are deliberate.  Oh the convoluted reasoning of parents and their children!!!  I hope I am better with my daughter. )

In any case, one of the most charming of hand-crafted Christmas Tree decorations is the walnut.  Half of a walnut makes a perfect little 'box' or setting for a Nativity scene or a cradle for the Christ Child.  In Eastern Europe, Scandinavia and Germany, these were quite popular back in the day.  Hallmark in the States produced some rather awful plastic versions but it is difficult to find the genuine article. 



At this point in my life, I would love to make a set of walnut ornaments but without transportation, I am rather limited in my ability to obtain the necessary materials.  Although I am not terribly adroit where crafting is concerned, it always fires the imagination.  Invariably, the result is disappointing, far removed from my ideal and often grandiose visions.

A few days ago, I explored one of the boxes that contained my Christmas decorations and had not been opened for over a decade.  I opened a itny box and found a rather charming little Flower Fairy reposing within it.  I was delighted by it... and then I suddenly realised that I had made it myself!  Quite a surprising discovery in a way.  Once i remembered that I had made it, I began to notice the little imperfections.  Nevertheless, it is a charming little fairy and I am pleased that I went to the effort so long ago.

My mother told me that she found a little Cavalier ornament that I had made once upon a time.  I cannot imagine what that looks like, although she told me it is fashioned of silk and other elegant materials.  I was obsessed with Cavaliers as a child.  The Three Musketeers was one of my favourite books and my friends and I used to have sabre duels and played out scenes from 'Twenty Years After'.  I went so far as to cut off a bit of my sister's hair while she slept to fashion a proper Cavalier's mustache for myself.  I doubt she has forgiven me to this day for that.  She is like the elephant, holding grudges forever.    I used her hair because it was thicker and more luxurious than mine.  Mine tended to curl as well, where hers was less opinionated in its directions.

This brings me to a subject I probably have beaten well into the ground by now: Christmas in online games.  I think that one of the aspects of Family Farm that I have enjoyed most this Advent Season is the ability to make decorations for the Farm.  It is very creative as well.  One can make decorations from feathers and fabric, but one also can make them from food items.  There are wonderful little Christmas Trees made from Cherry Tomatoes and blocks of cheese.  There is an elegant, sleek Reindeer Candle made from the metal beaten from Horseshoes one obtains from a specific type of Horse.  Candles often are lit by fireflies in this game.  In the Workshop, one can make a Candy Cane Arch with live fireflies slitting about it.

I wish I could make some of these decorations in the 'real world', but I have to confess that it is rather satisfying to make them even in a virtual world.  If one cannot make them for the real Christmas Tree, still it fills the spirit with the excitement of the Advent Season to make them to decorate a virtual Farm.